Thursday, September 22, 2005

Computer Woes :(((

The rebooting frequency has increased. So I decided to send the error report to M$ and after sending it directed me to some opc.microsoft.com. It is the Online Crash Analysis site of Microsoft and here I came to know that the re-booting is because of some “unknown and serious” error in my NVidia drivers. The link there directed me to an older version of the driver I am presently using. If Microsoft so vehemently believes that this is the right driver I ought to be using, I thought I would better give it a shot and the result: download in progress 

Being the ‘explorer’ I am, I ended up visiting the FAQs on NVidia site and this led me to find out more about my motherboard and I figured out that it belongs to some ASRock (neither did I ever hear about that before ). So the natural course of action is to go to their downloads section and the result: download in progress, yet again !!! 

But if you think this is all, you are wrong. NVidia also suggested a few other sites like Mem Test, a memory testing cross platform tool and Mersenne Primes, a supposedly torture test for computers. I realized later that it is a distributed computing program and would like to use my computer resources for finding out some next Mersenne Prime. DUMB!!! And if you thought that was all, you are again wrong. It supposedly required one month to benchmark your computers performance. Now that is like contract labour. If you want to benchmark your computer, lease us memory and processor power for at least a month. 

Anyway, I realized that by turning off Skype 1.4 Beta version and the NVidia program that was running, the computer has stayed stable. I guess my last one hour effort of downloading all these softwares is sheer waste. As I type this sentence, the monitor flickers. Is it God’s way of telling, “son, you think you can win over a computer problem by turning off a few running programs??” 

Anyway, as I said earlier, everyday I start off with the intention to blog the Marico Workshop and it ends up being yet another crib post about my computer.

Damn!!! I want to buy that Apple MAC G5 asap. In case, you haven’t seen it yet, do visit Apple .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home